In the context of omnipresent telecommunications surveillance, “The Pirate Cinema” reveals the hidden activity and geography of Peer-to-Peer file sharing. The project is presented as a monitoring room, which shows Peer-to-Peer transfers happening in real time on networks using the BitTorrent protocol.
The installation produces an arbitrary cut-up of the files currently being exchanged. Users IP addresses and countries are displayed on each cut, depicting the global topology of content consumption and dissemination.
[conception: Nicolas Maigret | development: Brendan Howell]
* Project page: http://thepiratecinema.com/
* Video doc: https://vimeo.com/67518774
* Pictures: goo.gl/VSNQh
* ITW for we make money not art: goo.gl/mhNj2
* ITW for TorrentFreaks: goo.gl/tqfE6
* ITW for Wired: goo.gl/iXU11